Treating Medical Conditions with Massage
I have focused my efforts and study on treating clients who suffer from certain diagnosed medical dis-ease. Massage can be a great way to address symptoms or discomfort of medical conditions. I approach my clients with the understanding that medical diagnosis are not the end-all-be-all to have a productive life. I believe adjusting diet, exercise, reactions to stress, and maintaining mental and emotional well-being can do wonders on your pathway to wellness.
I am happy to work with you and find ways to use massage to treat your discomfort (even if its not mentioned below). This is my passion!
I have treated many clients with fibromyalgia, and although it seems baffling to western medical doctors, I have noticed a repetitive set of circumstances with all my fibromyalgia clients: Chronic widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and tenderness in localized areas.
First we discuss the areas that are tender or bothersome, and go over your current approach to health and overcoming these symptoms. I believe your body is trying to tell you 'something' and your symptoms are the language your body is speaking with.
I address the fascia of the body - because I believe that lack of exercise and stretching lead to tightness and pain, this becomes exacerbated with fatigue. I may use a variety of techniques such as:
- Deep Tissue: Ashiatsu - this addresses the fascia without hurting or going too deep, trigger point therapy, and myofascial release
- Thai massage: for stretching and opening up fascia
- Swedish and Lomi Lomi: for wonderful relaxation
- Craniosacral or Healing Touch: for releasing tension held in the nervous system
- Shiatsu or Reflexology: for balancing the meridians and energy pathways, releasing tenderness in localized areas, and releasing overall mental tension
We may also discuss diet, exercise, flower remedies, Emotional Freedom Technique (tapping), mindfulness, and more!
I have personally experienced ups and downs with my digestion and I believe you can benefit from my past. I have overcome stomach ulcers, slow absorption from lack of enzymes, painful bowel movements, parasites, painful gas/allergies, I have used cleanses, probiotics, enzymes, digestive herbs, and flower remedies. Massage is not the ONE answer to digestive problems, but it can certainly help. Your digestive system is very entwined with your mental/emotional well-being; so if you're struggling with digestive issues even though you've changed your diet - this approach might make some headway.
First we discuss your current health problems and what you are doing to overcome your symptoms. We discuss diet, blood type, stress levels, relationships, work, and exercise routine.
I address the energy of your body, I may use a variety of techniques such as:
- Full-body massage: This includes massaging the 'belly' with a combination of techniques (Shiatsu, Creative Healing Technique, Lomi Lomi, and Swedish massage). A full body massage is best because it allows full release of tension held body-wide. For example: When the back and arms holds tension - this can affect the meridian and energy functions of the small intestine, gall bladder, and large intestine.
- Deep Tissue: For getting at any spots holding so much tension it prohibits the release in your digestive track
- Craniosacral or Healing Touch: for releasing tension held in the nervous system (which is entwined with your digestive system)
- Shiatsu or Reflexology: for balancing the meridians and energy pathways of the digestive track, and releasing overall mental tension.
We may also discuss:
- Diet: Reducing inflaming foods (like sugar, gluten, red-meat, and alcohol), and what diet may work best for your body type
- Using supplements: Hydrochloric Acid, Magnesium, Enzymes, Probiotics, Parasite Cleanses/Herbs, and Flower Remedies
- Exercise: Incorporating a 20-min regime into your daily life (like yoga, boxing, pilates, etc) to eliminate mental stress